From: Gunther Birznieks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 1:24 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Modperl/Apache deficiencies... Memory usage.

If you aren't careful with your programming, an apache HTTPD can always
grow pretty quickly because Perl never releases the RAM it allocates
previously. While it does that reference count garbage collection, that is
internal to the RAM that was allocated.

Let's say you need to sort a record set returned from a DBI call in an
unusual perl-like way. If you do this "in memory", you need an array to
hold the entire recordset in memory at once. If you do this, though, you
will allocate the RAM for that one request that sorted the array and then
the HTTPD will remain that size forever.

Keeping the higher RAM allocation is good for performance if you have the
RAM of course. So this is one of those design tradeoffs. And Perl was not
really written to be a persistent language, so again, the tradeoff of
operational speed seems to make sense versus persistent memory usage.

Later,
   Gunther

At 12:25 AM 4/18/00 -0400, Jeff Stuart wrote:
>Shane, question for you.  No offense intended here at all but what do you
>have in your apache servers (other than mod_perl) that use 4 to 6 MB?  I've
>got one server that I'm working on that handles close 1 Mil hits per day
>than runs WITH mod_perl that uses 4 to 6 MB.  ;-)  Without mod_perl, it
>takes up around 500 to 800 KB.   Now on another server my mod_perl server
>uses about 13 Mb per but it's my devel machine so I've got a lot of stuff
>loaded that I wouldn't have in a production server.
>
>--
>Jeff Stuart
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])