On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Aaron E. Ross wrote:

>  while the install and auto configure part is not very glamorous, the
>  possibility of being able to untar one package to get mod_perl w/ persistent
>  db connections, transaction management, data relational modeling/objects and
>  a nice templating/servlet engine is very glamorous! you could be a folk hero!
>
>  honestly it seems like a pretty worthwhile project to me. basically, what is
>  missing is (cough! cough!) simply a lot of hard work.
>
>  except for transaction management, which is apparently of questionable value,
>  all the pieces exist, right?
>
>    database abstraction and connection pooling => DBI
>    session management                        => Apache::Session
>    load balancing                            => mod_backhand??
>    data relational mapping                   => Tangram or Alzabo
>    templates or whatever you want to call them => HTML::Embperl/Mason/TemplateToolkit
>    ide => pick an editor with a few hooks to call make, install and restart
>
>  granted this may not get us everything, but if we could package up the stuff
>  we all use over and over again, wouldn't that get us pretty far?
>
>  Aaron
>
>  I'm willing to contribute time to this project if given some input on how
>  to proceed.

perhaps take a look at AO - it's a good start at a servlet
engine that packages at least a few of the items you've
highlighted. i'd love to participate in a project that uses
AO, backhand, an o/r mapping tool, and other components to
provide an out of the box 2-tier system. i'd also love to
see an "enterprise" or 3-tier version of same. let's
organize!

i suppose i should get the AO sourceforge site up and
running eh?