On Thursday 14 June 2001 13:18, Ged Haywood wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Robin Berjon wrote:
> > I'm running into trouble with browsers submitting data using various
> > charsets and not telling me which charset they're using. This results in
> > all sorts of breakages and unusable text. I can't be the only one dealing
> > with this problem (if I am, then I'm really out of luck) so I was
> > wondering if anyone here knows of a good way to reliably detect the
> > charset that the browser is using to post its data.
>
> It will be very difficult to guess reliably what charset is in use from
> a random sample of characters taken from it.  I think you just have to
> be able to handle the data.  You need sixteen bits per character.

I'm able to handle the data :) The problem is simply that I need to mix that
data with other data in another encoding, which means I have to convert it.
And in order to convert it, I need to know the original encoding... otherwise
either the converter will blow up, or I'll corrupt the content.

Thanks Ged :)

Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
There are trivial truths and there are great Truths. The opposite of
a trival truth is obviously false. The opposite of a great Truth is
also true.
-- Niels Bohr