Hi!

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 04:17:02PM -0500, David Harris wrote:
As one of the three contributers I'd like to reply to some points you made:

> Thomas Klausner's isn't broken in anyway and acceptable, but I don't really
> *like* the page look very much.
The main goal of my proposial wasn't really to /look/ good (as I am not a
designer), but to be standard compiliant and fast loading and to make future
/design/ changes easy by strictly seperating structure (HTML) from style
(CSS).

> I propose that we simply use a site design that is the uniform
> "psudo-standard" for the Apache Software Foundation. A number of ASF
> projects are using this site design:
> http://www.apache.org/
> http://httpd.apache.org/
> http://jakarta.apache.org/
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/

I just took a brief look at those sites, and I think that they are
structurally somewhat different from the (new) mod_perl site. All those
sites are rather flat, i.e. there are no deep nested hierarchies like at the
mod_perl site (e.g.: Home / Documentation / mod_perl Developer's guide / )

We could maybe adopt their color scheme etc, but I think the mod_perl site
/will/ need some more navigational tools.

> (a) See if others also think that the three alternatives for a mod_perl site
> are not very desirable. If you agree, please speak up and say that you
> agree.
Just to "defend" my submission: All coloring, positioning, fonts, box layout
etc is done in one CSS file that can easily be made "nicer-looking". I
basically just separated the structure from the styling, so that anybody who
feels so inclined can do a nicer styling more easily.

> (c) Perhaps elicit a volunteer to design an example site that includes Stas'
> content and the ASF generic design. If enough people agree with the first
> two points, someone may be willing to volunteer to do this.. perhaps even
> one of the existing contributors who have already figured out DocSet.
> Perhaps even Stas!
I think it would be quite easy to modify my submission to look like the ASF
sites, but some navigational issues will have to be solved.

For Example, I think that the NavBar on the top of the page, that shows
where in the site you currently are and provides links to the upper levels
is absolutely necessery. The prev/next links are quite nice, but not that
important IMO.

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |