Hi,

I just got the chance to be in charge of a very busy website, and its future
growth. Currently it is running with PHP on two round robin servers with a
separate mysql db server. We are going to be moving to mod_perl, but I am
worried about how to keep from getting into the same kind of trap with
mod_perl as with PHP. The PHP guys don't know OOP, so we have to code
halfway, modules exporter but not OOP modules. It has to be something OOP
like without getting too complex at first. The PHP trap is just the horrible
require once stuff all over the place and global vars etc. I know lots of
people blame this kind of coding on perl geeks, but the PHP stuff I have
been seeing is pretty bad with it because the constant thought is "must fix
current problem wait till later to be pretty" but later never comes. Also
things like using ten instr functions instead of one reg exp.

So I am thinking whatever I do it should fit within an existing framework,
something like Mason. But I am confused about what real advatage Mason
provides, and how things like source code control would work if we are
running lots of servers. Do people use rsync to keep up to date? Say one
machine is always the upload point and the rest get synced from that one? I
am having a hard time asking really good questions I think because there are
so many things I am trying to think out.

Thanks for any ideas,

Eric

http://www.kwinternet.com/eric
(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant