From: Bill O'Hanlon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 7:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FreeBSD Apache/mod_perl/OpenSRS/expat problem + solution

Hi folks,

I just ran down a problem that was somewhat hard to find, and I didn't see
any
mention of anything like it in the archives anywhere.  I thought it might be
helpful to mention the details in case someone else is ever in the same
situation.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.5, with perl 5.6.1 and Apache 1.3.24.  I had a working
installation of the regular OpenSRS perl code via cgi-bin, but I thought I'd
get it running under Apache::Registry in mod_perl.  To my surprise, the
Apache
daemons would dump core whenever I tried to log in with manage.cgi.

It turns out that the current FreeBSD port of Apache uses it's own internal
version of "expat", which is an XML library of some kind.  This internal
version doesn't connect up well with the version that XML::Parser is
expecting
to find.  Turning this off in the Apache build fixed the problem, and the
OpenSRS code runs very nicely under mod_perl now.  At this point, I don't
understand what functionality I've lost by not having the expat code built
into
the Apache binary.

The configure option to leave out expat is "--disable-rule=EXPAT".  In the
FreeBSD port, that's easily added to the CONFIGURE_ARGS variable in the
Makefile.

I don't know if this applies to any other platform.  My guess is that it
could,
since I think the default for Apache is to use the internal version of
expat.

Hope this helps someone!

-Bill

--