<soapbox>

Grr. Why can't people just write bloody applications with HTML in them
instead of spending so much energy tryuing to find a way to avoid writing
any HTML?

I mean, it's not that hard. Formulate what you want parts to do, make a sort
of vanilla, unformatted output here-doc ior template file for each part as
necessary, get the functionality going, then prety it up by copying each
here-doc or template file into Dreamweaver or something, formatting the HTML
to look nice, and then moving the formattted html back in.

Template. Mason. Yecch. I feel mildly nauseated every time I hear about
stuff like Mason and similar cop-outs. If people would spend half the time
learning to output their own HTML that they do trying to find ways around
doing so, they'd get a lot more programs written, and there would be less
ugly, clunky, messy, badly-interfacd, hard-to-use and ungodly slow web
applications out there.

I'm still distastefully amazed when I find people using CGI.pm to print a
content-type header on something that in no other way uses CGI.pm, has no
cookies, or anything else. Yes, I have actually seen someone use CGI to do
nothign more than dump their environment variables, when a simple;

print "Content-type:
%ENV),"</dl>\n";

would do the job perfectly fine.

</soapbox>