On Wednesday, 2002-10-09 at 18:22:24 -0400, Steve Grazzini wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:43:18PM -0700, Paul wrote:

> > The company is making us migrate (some baloney about being legally
> > vulnerable because we're using open source)

> If they won't let you use open-source tools, then the
> answer is definitely "yes".  (Perl is open-source.)

As are all modules on CPAN. If they really mean this, you will have to
rewrite in a language that has a closed-source compiler, using only
modules that are not available in source. Do not use any code examples,
too, just to be sure ... =:-|

If you want to be sure you are implementing what *they* want, you better
ask *them* where "Open Source" stops. Steve's point about perl being
open source may be important for your career ;-) (As in "Career-limiting
move")

> And migrating from a relational database to LDAP might
> not be as obvious as... oh well.

Depending on what you do, it may not even be suitable. LDAP organizes
data hierarchically. It hangs attributes off objects. Generally, LDAP
databases are slower than RDBMSes.

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |