I ran into some problems trying to get a Perl CGI script to make use of
IPC::Sharelite, so I want to understand the Apache and mod_perl
threading model in order to be able to use shared memory across multiple
Apache threads.

For starters, I better make sure I learn more about mod_perl 2.0, as in,
do I even have it on my system yet!

I am running Red Hat 8.0, Apache/2.0.40.

How do I tell if mod_perl 1.0 or mod_perl 2.0 is installed (or, at
least, that the .so is the .so for mod_perl 2.0)?

Some facts about my system that may help answer this question are
provided below...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.0.40
Server built:   May 22 2003 05:19:58
Server's Module Magic Number: 20020628:0
Architecture:   32-bit
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
 -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
 -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
 -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
 -D HTTPD_ROOT="/etc/httpd"
 -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
 -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
 -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
 -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
 -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
 -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
 -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# strings /usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_perl.so
mod_perl/1.99_05-dev

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cat /etc/httpd/conf.d/perl.conf

# This will allow execution of mod_perl to compile your scripts to
# subroutines which it will execute directly, avoiding the costly
# compile process for most requests.
#
#Alias /perl /var/www/perl
#<Directory /var/www/perl>
#
#dga- Here's my best guess at config so far:
#
Alias /perl /home/httpd/perl
<Directory /home/httpd/perl>
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler ModPerl::Registry::handler
  PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
  Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cat /home/httpd/perl/startup.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Apache::compat ();
1;

Thanks for any tips and help anyone might provide.

(BTW, my more general goal is to have shared memory across multiple
Apache threads as part of implementing sessions so that I can avoid
doing a database write at every HTTP request just to save session IDs.)

Cheers,
Dennis

--
Dennis G. Allard                               telephone: 1.310.399.4740
Ocean Park Software                                 http://oceanpark.com