Steve Hay wrote:

5.8.0 is a pretty new perl version, which provides the new functionality, and it seems that hardly anybody has been using the UTF stuff with mod_perl.

5.8.0 is actually a couple of days short of being one year old (happy birthday!), which is increasingly not that new any more. 5.8.1 should be out soon too.

I meant that it was too new to be embraced by the crowd. it'll probably take a few more years before this will happen. In any case, this is just an excuse ;)

As for hardly anybody using UTF8 stuff with mod_perl... I didn't think that I was until I realised that most XML parsers (certainly the two that I most uses -- XML::LibXML and XML::DOM) return all their data in Perl's internal UTF-8 format! Then the penny dropped that I was actually using it rather a lot :-)

I thought XML was dead. Do people still use this archaic technology? I went to this session at this OS conference with many k00l ppls and there was this dude[1] who said that YAML is the future. Next they started talking about animals, and for some reason everybody liked ponie. All well, orange people [2], orange sites [3], orange ponies [4], jetlag, too many flights, too little sleep...

1: http://husk.org/pics/imgs/people/perl/london.pm_ingy_2001-07-30/ingy_nino_tired.jpg
2: http://husk.org/pics/imgs/people/perl/london.pm_ingy_2001-07-30/acme_perl_hacker_scary.jpg
3: http://search.cpan.org/
4: http://ponie.kwiki.org/ http://www.poniecode.org/