Hi!

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:36:55 +0200, Fatih Gey wrote:
> I supposed the browser to resend always an unique "bowser session id", which
> is used by apache to save certain values, like $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}
> (similiar to a session-cookie with uid and serverbased $vars) ..
> Isn't this the way Basic Authentication scheme works ? ..

I do not know how much Auth stuff changed in Apache 2.0/mod_perl 2, but you
seem to mix up checking user credentials in the response phase (as done in
CGI or PHP) with writing you own Auth Handlers that replace the standard
Apache ones.

If you get the user credentials via a web form, you are usually NOT using
BASIC Auth but your own scheme (or something like Apache::AuthCookie). Thus,
$r->connection->user is not set.

Take a look at:
* Chapter 6 of the Eagel book, available online at:
  http://modperl.com:9000/book/chapters/ch6.html

* Chapter 13.7 of the mod_perl Cookbook

* Apache::AuthCookie

At least that's how it works with mod_perl 1.x ...

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                               http://domm.zsi.at