On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 14:42, Zack Brown wrote:
> I want to prevent one person from having multiple accounts.

Okay.

> > That's correct, unless you have control over the client machines.  You
> > can require cookies, which will tell you if multiple users on separate
> > browsers are sharing a login, but that's about all you can do without
> > possibly breaking your system for someone.
>
> Someone can appear to be multiple people by disabling cookies though.

That's why I said "require" cookies: you reject all requests from people
who don't allow cookies, and then you use the cookies for tracking.  A
moderately tech-savvy user can delete your cookie and log in again under
a separate account, but people who are scared of opening up prefs and
messing with cookie management (or people who simply don't care enough
to bother) will be stopped.

If you have a fixed set of clients who are definitely not using proxies,
you can use IP instead of cookies.

> I want to ensure that if person A registers to use a site, they are not
> able to register again using a different login

Ask them for a credit card then.  There's no other way that will really
work 100% of the time.

- Perrin