On Fri, Mar 05, 1999, Fathi Ben Nasr wrote:

>     What is the difference between SSLeay and openssl i.e. which one
> should I use (with mod-ssl 2.2.3-1.3.4 and apache) and why ?

Although this should be asked on our openssl-users list, here is an answer:
The difference are first a lot of bugfixes and new features and second: SSLeay
is dead while OpenSSL is it's successor, so the question of difference is
useless because OpenSSL isn't a competing product ;-) For details about the
differences look at: http://www.openssl.org/news/changelog.html

> How can I generate certs for communicator 4.05 or ie4.x (export
> versions) ? My .crt files results to be invalid or corrupted to both
> clients.

The .crt files of mod_ssl are server certificates. Although they can be used
as client certificates you shouldn't use it for this, of course. The reason
why it doesn't work for you is because they are in PEM format while for the
browsers you usually need DER format or at least have to load via PKCS#12 or
as DER with correct MIME types. Look inside the mod_ssl for a few hints about
client certificates.