On Tue, Oct 06, 1998, System Administrator wrote:

> I run this server on Port 80.
>
> No other apache 1.3.2 servers running.
>
> apachectl startssl
>
> gives me this in error_log
>
>    [Tue Oct  6 13:19:10 1998] ssl_gcache started
>    bind: Address already in use
>
> however apachectl start runs fine:
>
> [Tue Oct  6 13:19:10 1998] [notice] Apache/1.3.2 (Unix) PHP/3.0.4
> mod_ssl/2.0.11
> y/0.9.0b configured -- resuming normal operations
>
> What is bind complaining about and why can't I run startssl?

Seems like it complains about the ssl_gcache TCP port.  Perhaps your previous
server processes died but ssl_gcache is still running (check with "ps -{ax,ef}
| grep gcache"). This is one of the reasons why gcache was kicked out for
mod_ssl 2.1, because the Apache API lacks a reliable child controlling.  Just
kill the ssl_gcache program and restart Apache. Or ignore it, because the
already running ssl_gcache program serves ok, too.