On Wed, Mar 10, 1999, Juergen Rensen wrote:

> >Do you mean whether a single Apache instance can run more than one virtual
> >host and each of those virtual hosts with a different certificate (answer
> >would be: yes)
>
> Oh?! Does this imply that you can have multiple virtual SSL hosts hanging
> off the same IP address?

No, I'm just talking about virtual hosts and implicitly assumed that this in
SSL-context always means IP-based. In other words: The virtual hosts cannot
share the same IP, of course.

> There was a discussion some time ago, and as far as I remember you could
> only have one SSL site per IP address, is that not true?

Yes and no. Yes in general, no when you take TCP ports into account, too.
Because the IP:Port is actually what has to be unique, i.e. you can use two
HTTPS servers without problems on IP:443 and IP:8443, of course.

> I tried to setup
> virtual SSL hosts on the same IP address, but Apache always returned one
> and the same default site. Has this changed?

No, this cannot be changed. It's the chicken and egg problem HTTP over SSL/TLS
always will have unless the SSL/TLS protocol provides information similar to
the Host: header of HTTP. But because that can be considered to be not really
belong to the SSL/TLS layer it will be never added to TLS, I think.