> The difference of course is that the former hits *all* MSIE browsers,
> including recent ones which seem to get along fine without the
> workaround.  Also, closing the connection each time, as mandated in
> the FAQ, has a considerable performance cost, to the point that one
> site which I'm involved with stopped using SSL completely as a
> temporary workaround.  (They're not dealing with confidential data
> *yet*, but they will).

I forgot to add: Has anyone had any success enabling keep-alive for even
certain revisions of MSIE?  The majority of users on our site are use some
revision of MSIE and having it disabled does result in notibly longer page
load times than under Netscape.  I will probably be doing some testing next
week to see if any versions of MSIE tolerate keep-alive with mod_ssl.

-Dave