Full_Name: John Douglass
Version: mod_ssl/2.7.1
OS: Solaris 2.7
Submission from: (NULL) (128.61.2.35)

I'm playing around with client certificate authentication.

Software used:
OpenSSL 0.9.6
Apache 1.3.14
Mod_SSL 2.7.1

My .htaccess file looks like:

SSLRequireSSL
SSLOptions              +FakeBasicAuth
SSLVerifyClient         require
SSLVerifyDepth          3
SSLRequire      %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O} eq "Georgia Tech" && \
                %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_OU} eq "IT-Operations & Engineering" && \
                %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN} =~ m/.*\(jd187\)/

What occurs at random intervals is when I reload the page, sometimes
I will get the certificate choice and it will auth as normal, but
at other times when I reload the page, it gives me the following
error in "script_log" with a "500: Internal Server Error".

[Fri Nov 17 10:27:42 2000] [alert] [client xxx.xx.x.xx]
/services/www/content/stuff/.htaccess: SSLRequire: syntax error

It's not consistant in performance. One time it will work, a third
time or so down the road it won't.