On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:52:42AM -0700, MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)
wrote:
>       If my understanding is correct, the current logic for
> SSLSessionCacheTimeout (in mod_ssl) is to mark the time when the first
> request was received, and then, irrespective of how long the connection has
> been active/inactive, remove the session identifier from the cache after the
> timeout has expired..
>  i.e., suppose the timeout is set to 15 seconds, the first request is
> received at 10:15:30 am, the next request from the same client arrives at
> 10:15:44, and a third request arrives at 10:15:55 - SSL will force a
> re-negotiation for the third case..
>
> I was wondering if the above logic makes sense, or is it better to reset the
> timeout as and when a request is processed - i.e., reset the timeout to be
> 10:15:49 after the 2nd request is processed, reset it to be 10:16:20 after
> the 3rd request - goes on till a request is not received from the same
> client OR the timeout expires..

Using this logic a second timeout value would be required, after which
a session would definitely be removed. RFC2246 (TLS) recommends to not
use a session longer than 24 hours. I've also read recommondations that
sessions with export ciphers (e.g. 40bit) should not be used longer than
1 hour.
Using your logic, it would be possible to keep a session infinitely long.
If you have a problem with sessions expiring to soon, increase the
timeout value (at the cost of needing more entries in the session
database).

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/