Hi there,

This *really* should be on modssl-users ... please take any further
questions and discussion there. This list is for users of OpenSSL. Your
problem and any solutions to it are specific to modssl.

I am on modssl-users too - so if you are not already subscribed, please do
so, and reply to this post on that list (if you wish to reply that is). I
have CC'd that list for your convenience.

[snip]

> /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log contains the following two lines
>

> [Mon Dec 17 14:39:17 2001] [error] mod_ssl: Init: (192.168.1.98:443)
> Unable to configure RSA server private key (OpenSSL library error
> follows) [Mon Dec 17 14:39:17 2001] [error] OpenSSL: error:0B080074:x509
> certificate routines:X509_check_private_key:key values mismatch

Look at the "OpenSSL library error";
- the area of code is "x509 certificate routines",
- the specific function is "X509_check_private_key"
- the reason is "key values mismatch".

It looks like the certificate you've specified and the private key you've
specified don't match one another. That's why the certificate code
("x509"), when checking the private key ("X509_check_private_key"), found a
mismatch.

> i could not make out anything from these

then you didn't read them. The line before the one I disected also
mentioned "Unable to configure RSA server private key". This suggests of
course that it was in the midst of trying to "configure the RSA private
key" when it failed. Moving on to that second line - it clearly suggests
that the *reason* the private key was rejected was because it did not match
up with the provided certificate.

Cheers,
Geoff