Upgrading to Apache 2.0.x on the users platform (I guess it's Red Hat 7.2)
is particularly hard. I spent a week trying this out recently but kept
running into problems with openssl libraries, and pre-compiled packages.

I used both an rpm that had already been built for Apache 2 (after creating
symlinks to the openssl libraries), and compiled openssl and Apache 2 from
source. In both cases I could send one request for a secure page, but all
subsequent requests hung completely.

Until Red Hat can release an rpm that works with their other rpms I'd
suggest that Apache 2 on that platform is still a bit of a pipe-dream. It's
now my preference to stay with pre-compiled packages where-ever I can,
simply because it is easier for me to administer (but I don't want to start
another discussion on that either!)

Which brings me to the point. Are you using the packages that came with
RedHat 7.2, or compiling your own? In the latter case, you may be seeing
conflicts with the openssl libraries that come with Red Hat 7.2. I've had no
difficulties with the packages that come with Red Hat 7.2 thus far.

-
John Airey
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If Charles Darwin knew a fraction of what scientists know today, he'd never
have written the Origin of the Species.

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to