At 10:57 PM 7.26.2002 -0500, David F. Reed wrote:
>Dear SSL experts and aficionados and RH gurus,
>
>I am hoping someone out there has a piece of arcane (to me)
>knowledge...
>
>(Running RH-7.3,  apache-1.3.23-14, openssl-0.9.6b-18)
>
>I note that during reboot (a rare event), some one trusted
>has to be around to manually key in the pass phrase to the
>server.key file - sometimes it waits for this, and sometimes not;
>in either case, unattended, the httpd sits around waiting to start.
>
>(I learned this the other day when a power outage convinced
>my system to shut down, and it restarted when power resumed).
>
>So my question is, is there a way to generate a key that does not
>look for a pass phrase, or automagically pipe the contents of some
>file, or some such work around, so that unattended, it can
>come up and function as a server?
>
>Any discussion of experience would be helpful
>
>Many thanks.
>
>--Dave

Not sure what OS you have, but I run FBSD and this is the method I use to
solve that:
To decrypt the Key:

First make a copy of the encrypted key

# cp server.key server.key.cryp

Then re-write the key with encryption. You will be prompted for the
original encrypted Key passphrase

# /usr/bin/openssl rsa -in server.key.cryp -out server.key
read RSA key
Enter PEM pass phrase:
writing RSA key

One way to secure the decrypted Private Key is to make readable only by the
root:
# chmod 400 server.key

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,