On Wednesday 30 Oct 2002 1:14 pm, Roger Rosenblum wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm having problems getting SSL to work with Apache at the moment.

"SSLEngine on"

Your (virtual) host is expecting to talk clear HTTP to the client, and
you need to tell it to talk HTTPS instead. Ie. on the server, you're
seeing it try to interpret the SSL/TLS handshake data from the client as
though it was a clear-text HTTP request, ie;

> The message showing up the the error_log is:
>       Invalid method in request \x80\x80\x01\x03\x01

and your SSL/TLS client is getting a clear-text ("bad request") response
from the server and trying to interpret it as SSL/TLS handshake data.

> and openssl reports "unknown protocol:s23_clnt.c:460:"
[snip]
> SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
> read from 0015E368 [00165A68] (7 bytes => 7 (0x7))
> 0000 - 3c 21 44 4f 43 54 59                              <!DOCTY

note the ASCII representation of the data from the server is the start
of an error page "<!DOCTY....."

Cheers,
Geoff

--