Hello,

My first guess would be that you have another version of openssl
libraries and/or headers installed on your system. The kind of linker
error you report usually suggests the code was compiled against one
openssl version's headers, but is trying to link against a different
openssl version's libraries. If my hunch is right, you have an older
version of openssl installed on the system and your code is using the
older version's headers but trying to link against your 0.9.7
installation in /service/apache2/openssl.

I can't test any of this right now so I'm flying a little blind, but
here's a couple of ideas;

(1) If you can (even temporarily) move the system's existing openssl
headers (and libs, for safety) out of the way and try again, you would
see if apache finds the correct headers and libs for sure.

(2) Try forcing the include path in a different way, eg; configure
    apache2 like;
    # export CFLAGS="-I/service/apache2/openssl/include"
    # ./configure --prefix=/service/apache2/ <etc ...>

Good luck,
Geoff

PS: If that leads nowhere, you may want to post your query to one of the
apache2 mailing lists - a version of mod_ssl is now included there and
this sort of configuration issue is quite different between adding
mod_ssl to apache 1.3 and using apache2's builtin version.

--
Geoff Thorpe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]