> If I restart my computer, the screen always freezes at
> 'starting up apache'
> and I have to remote log on and kill apache for the machine to boot.

Is the private key encrypted? If it is, it will prompt for a passphrase
at start-up and wait until it gets one. But read on...
Yes the key the is encrypted. When I start apache as root and log on, it asks me for a pass phrase. But when apache tries to start at boot-up it just hangs, no pass-phrase.

> Looking at the error log I get the messages:
> [Tue Apr 20 13:58:06 2004] [error] mod_ssl: Init: Private key
> not found

This isn't good. What do you have for SSLCertificateKeyFile? Does the
path exist? Is it readable?
Yes is there, and yes it is readable. I presume that apache will start up as root. So that shouldn't be the problem.

Someone else suggested that that I make apache boot-up last. I changed S90apache to S99apache. It didn't work.

Another suggestion was to try $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I don't think this is the problem as everything is Debian, and I haven't put anything in funny positions.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Colin