David T. Ashley wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way to load Apache and Internet Explorer with keys so that a
"private tunnel" is created automatically?

What I'm looking for is an arrangement where only a user who has keys that
I've given him can use a browser to connect to my server on Port 443.

(I'm aware of STUNNEL and similar solutions, but I'm looking for a solution
where only the browser and the server are involved.)

You are looking for client cert authentification, take another look at the good docs at

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_howto.html#ToC6

Generate your own CA and user certs, import them into IE by using the pkcs12 cert format. Google for ssl.ca-0.1 from Yeak Nai Siew, these scripts will take you through all neccessary steps. Finally configure apache and you're done.

Greets from Germany,
Eckard