It really does sound like there's something else listening on port 443:

That's usually what this message means.  You said:

> Oh, and there isn't anything else listening to port 443:
> /sbin/fuser -4 -n udp 443
> gives a null result.

... except that it's tcp, not udp, that we care about here.

As for your httpd.conf, it looks sort of close, although the
"<VirtualHost <my ip address>:443>" block needs to have the SSL
certificate and key configuration directives as well as some other
stuff (see the example httpd.conf that comes with mod_ssl), and the
"<VirtualHost *:80>" block should NOT contain "SSLEngine on".

Hope this helps,
--Cliff