Sounds good - I have checked that I'm loading mod_rewrite.so and tried
"RewriteEngine On" in the ssl vhost on the dev machine - but that didn't
work. So what else do I need to check regarding? I'm also confused why it
should then be working on my live machine when the config' files are almost
identical...

I'm obviously missing something though :)