Hi Flavio,

> See also: Net::Daemon
Thank you for the pointer - it should appear in that list -
however, at least I have some daemons not having any direct
connections to clients (a daemon that updates the different user
lists from one central data source, a daemon which updates the
iptables rulesets on our border computer of a public internet
access point from some "database" when a customer has paid the
access fee, when she/he ran out of internet time).

Generally speaking I see two classes of applications that could
use the class I described:
1. network daemons
2. some daemons which have tasks that could be solved using cron
   (in a less elegant way)

For the first, Net::Daemon is exactly the right module; however,
I haven't seen anything for the latter.

One possibility would certainly be to "generalize" Net::Daemon
to something like a App::Daemon or Proc::Daemon (the latter
exists, but has only a limited functionality, concentrates just
on the "real daemonizing" and does not take care about PID etc.)
or something in that direction.

Just overriding all the networking methods does not seem to be
a very clean solution (at least in my eyes).

Baltasar