On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 04:19:38PM -0800, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
> > I'm not sure what it is we're trying to solve here--has there been
> > a specific complaint we're trying to address?  "If nothing is
> > broken, don't fix it" etc.
>
> Yes, yours. :)

[applause.]

> Its an old one.  I happened to dig it up while researching what TO_UNIX
> is for in MakeMaker.  The problem has largely been solved exactly as you
> suggested back that, Perl's newline handling has been made smarter.
> Just wondering if anyone is still having problems with this. If not,
> I'll leave it be.  I might even tear out OS/2's special case.

The only instance where I've personally seen trouble with Perl and
different line-endings is in scripts.  If a script's #! line ends with a
CRLF many (maybe all?) UNIX's will give you "command not found" garbage.
Despite the irritation that has caused me through the years, it doesn't
seems worth leaving magical kruft buried in MakeMaker to fix it.

--
</chris>

Camels may be nasty beasts, but they're the
only way to get through the desert.     -me