Okay, the discussion seems to have died down a little, but a few more notes on
the proposed Geo::GSHHS and similar modules.

James: GSHHS is "Global Self-consistant High-resolution Hierachical Shoreline
data" -- it's basically a vector drawing of the world's coastlines, available
at 5 resolutions, and published by the University of Hawaii.  It's the
standard shoreline data which is used by most GIS applications, but it's
published in a network-endian binary data format, which makes it a little
more difficult to read than the typical text files which Perl does so well.
I've got a little module to use unpack() and read() and a bit of
data-processing and data-structure to make a module out of it.

GIS is "Geographic Information Systems", basically spacial data with an
emphasis on mapping and the Earth.  It's not necessarily a subset of digital
imaging, because it might include vector or point data, and many other data
sources other than photographic ones.  Here's a better description:
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIS

Regarding the Sol::Earth::Geo discussion, there's no reason why many of the
GIS tools should be planet-dependant; the conversions which require knowledge
of the planet shape are typically only a small part of large systems, and I
know that programs such as xplanet use the same functions to draw a mars
image as an earth image.

Regarding the geometry / geography discussion, I can see a few geometry
modules living happily in Math::Geo, although I'd be happy to hear from
anyone who thinks they should be elsewhere.

Regarding the GIS:: namespace, one thing I might mention about that is that it
won't show up on a search for "Geo", which might be quite confusing to
someone who has used Geo::shapefiles and GeoIP, and is looking for something
similar.

"Geography::" WOULD show up on a Geo search, but is it better for me to locate
new modules here rather than in Geo? I had thought that Geo:: looked like a
standard place, until the Geography area was pointed out to me in this forum.

Of course, there are many more suggestions. In Perl there's always more than
one way to do something just as in English, there's always more than one way
to describe something...

Any more thoughts?  No hurry, as I'm just plodding along with code slowly in
my spare time.

Regards

Oliver White

www.blibbleblobble.co.uk