David Wheeler wrote:
> So, what do people like or prefer, and why? Is there a consensus on
> this? If so, what is it?

I manually give the main module in a distribution a "real" version number
such as 2.00, 2.01, and so on.  Naturally this changes on every release.

All the other modules in a distribution have a version number built
automatically from the CVS revision.  This changes only when the source
file changes.

  $VERSION = sprintf("%d.%02d", q$Revision: 1.23$ =~ /(\d+)\.(\d+)/);

I think it's a good idea for every module to have a version number, even
if they are very rarely used.  If possible, don't change version numbers
of sub-modules between distributions unless they have changed.

That way it is easy to tell at a glance that versions 2.10 and 2.11 of
the Foo::Bar distribution, both use the same version 3.14 of the
Foo::Bar::Magic::Helper module, for example, without having to mess
around with diff.