On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 12:40:03PM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
>
> > * Dave Rolsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004-07-14 19:26]:
> > > Some of them _are_ registered, but that document you're
> > > referring to hasn't been regenerated since 2002/08/27!  I wish
> > > the CPAN folks would just remove it if it won't be generated
> > > regularly.
> >
> > Does anyone else here think that the list should probably just be
> > done away with entirely?

The _file_ should go, yes. The concept of registering modules is different.

> Given the fact that most authors seem to not register their stuff, the
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] list is slow as heck, and that the web pages never get
> regenerated, yes.

Those are all fixable. Volunteers?

The real issues are bigger and deeper. I've appended a couple of emails.

Tim.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:37:12AM +1300, Sam Vilain wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:32, Tim Bunce wrote;
>
>   > I'd like to see a summary of what those "needs of the community"
>   > are.  (Maybe I missed it as I've not been following as closely as
>   > I'd have liked. In which case a link to an archived summary would
>   > be great.)
>   > It's very important to be clear about what the problems actually
>   > are.
>
> I don't really want to argue this side of things, I think that the
> problems pretty much speak for themselves.  But I hate unspoken
> consensus, so let me suggest a few from my perspective; this applies
> to the combined Perl 5 modules list / using search.cpan.org:

I'll play devils advocate here and point out some alternative remedies
for the problems. By doing so I'm _not_ trying to detract for your
suggestion, which I like, I'm just trying to show how existing mechanisms
could be improved incrementally.

>   a) searching for modules for a particular task takes a long time and
>      unless you get your key words right, you might not find it at
>      all.  Refer the recent Mail::SendEasy thread.

Calls for a richer set of categories and cross-links of some kind.
(Editorial content alone is basically just more words to a search engine.)

>   b) it is very difficult to find good reviews weighing the pros and
>      cons of similar modules; they exist, but are scattered.
>
>      CPAN ratings was a nice idea, but has too many "First Post!"
>      style reviews to be useful in its current form IMHO.

Argues for moderation of reviews and a minimum review length.
A "was this review helpful" mechanism would also help to bring
better reviews to the top.  Also the search.cpan.org should not
just show the overall rating, it should show the underlying three
individual ratings (docs, interface, ease of use).

>   c) it is nearly impossible to tell which modules are the wisest
>      choices from a community size point of view; using modules that
>      are more likely to fall out of maintenance is easy to do.

Argues for more stats. I think useful *relative* download stats
could be extracted from a sample of CPAN sites. Also search.cpan.org
could provide relative page-*view* stats for modules.

>   d) some great modules are not registered (I am referring of course
>      to such masterpieces as Pixie, Heritable::Types, Maptastic :),
>      Spiffy, Autodia, Want ... and those are just the ones missing
>      in my bag of tricks)

Argues for fixing the registration process.

>   > Originally the Module List had two goals:
>   >  1: to help people find perl modules for a particular task.
>   >  2: to provide a second-tier of modules above the 'anarchy' of
>   >     people uploading half-baked ideas with half-baked names.
>
> Honourable goals, which it solved adequately for a period of time, and
> full credit where it is due.
>
> But now let's look at where we are.  We've got masses of modules,
> truckloads of categories and thousands of contributors.  This task
> cannot be left in the hands of a handful of hackers, no matter how
> much awe they inspire, they probably still have lives and day jobs ;)

The registration process can, and should, be automatic for any modules
for which no one objects. You'd apply and RT would automatically
register if no one commented on the application.

> I will maintain that the current format, or even simply adding some
> more fields to the database is *not* enough information to give
> uninformed people looking for a module the information to make an
> informed decision.
>
> It is my gut feeling that only editorial content, managed by people
> who are experts in the field, will truly perform this task - and that
> to gain maximum support, that it should be included in the content
> mirrored along with the rest of cpan.org.

I agree that comparative editorial reviews would be very valuable
for Goal 1 above. I wouldn't address Goal 2 effecively at all.

> I think we're mature enough as a community to be able to produce this
> content without it disolving into flamewars or being too one-sided.
>
> In particular, I really think that as little red tape should be
> applied to this system as possible.  Let's just set up a few CVS /
> subversion accounts, to edit content that is autopublishing to the
> www.cpan.org site, with a few disclaimers chucked on the bottom.
> LARTing the naive and troublesome as appropriate.

I agree. This all seems very similar to the DMOZ.org project that
maintains reviews of millions of web sites:
        "6,095,104 sites - 61,277 editors - 551,043 categories"
That's a mature and very sucessful model (used by google directory etc)
that's well worth learning from.

>   > The text file is out of date. The underlying database isn't:
>      [...]
>   > Please work with the PAUSE system, and Andreas and myself, to
>   > enhance what already exists (which includes a UI for module
>   > authors to pick which category they want the module in).
>
> I'd be honoured to.  I think that the plan you propose would be an
> excellent step forward, and whether or not the editorial plan gains
> acceptance then it has merit.
>
> Unfortunately right now I have to move house :-) but I should be able
> to dedicate at some time this week to research and kick-start this
> recategorisation effort.

Ultimely countless good ideas fail for lack of time.

Tim.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:20:39PM +0000, Zefram wrote:
> I am rather confused.
>
> Many documents on PAUSE and CPAN refer to the Perl 5 module list.
> It is, for example, to be consulted when considering module naming, and
> to search for pre-existing modules.  Documents all over the web refer
> to it.  Without exception that I have been able to find, all of these
> references point to <http://www.cpan.org/modules/00modlist.long.html>
> as the place to get hold of the module list.
>
> The document served at that URI is dated 2002-08-27 internally,
> and has a timestamp of 2002-08-28.  It lists (at a rough estimate)
> somewhere in the region of only half the number of modules that appear
> in the by-module hierarchy.  Evidently this is the module list as it
> was eighteen months ago.
>
> PAUSE appears to maintain all the metadata that goes into the module
> list.  search.cpan.org searches on a recent version of this metadata.
> Evidently the module list is still being maintained.

This message I posted to module-authors recently may help explain:

(I could have cross-posted it here. I certainly meant to at least
tell people here that an important discussion was happening on
module-authors. So thanks for bringing this up now. Well timed.)

I'd recommend all [EMAIL PROTECTED] subscribers read that message.

> This is why I am mailing you to ask: what's going on?  Why is such
> an outdated module list being published in an authoritative location,
> and where can I get an up-to-date list?

Module List *document* was maintained by hand.  When managment of
the Module List *data* was automated there was a desire to automate
maintainance of the document but the document had a slightly richer
structure than the data. That small hurdle meant automation never
happened and the document was left unmaintained.

Around the same time search.cpan.org became functional so the
document had less relevance and busy people had other things to do.

I'll happily conceed that the *document* isn't important these days.
But I feel strongly that the *principle* (of moderated naming and
categorization) is.

The main pieces currently missing are:

1. Automated handling of module registration. [Where has that got to?]

2. Better integration of registration data into search.cpan.org
   So registration details are includes in search results, for example.

3. A 'fast path' process to register many modules that are in
   widespread use but are not registered. So then the majority of
   modules are registered and

The alternative is just to give up. Seriously. We could just stop
banging our heads against authors uploading half baked ideas with
half-baked names (which are "self explanatory" to them).

The hope would be that out of the anarchy would rise some new
form of organization[*] (in the broadest sense) that would help
hapless users find what their looking for.

Do we want to do that? [I'm asking this question in all seriousness.]

Tim.

p.s. I think the term "Module List" should be deprecated in favor
of talking about "Registered Modules" and "module registration" etc.

[*] Presumably based on metadata, rantings, editorial reviews, download
stats and/or whatever else people can come up with.