On Jul 17, 2004, at 12:52 AM, Randy W. Sims wrote:

On 7/16/2004 8:54 AM, Ken Williams wrote:
On Jul 14, 2004, at 2:11 PM, Randy W. Sims wrote:

The spec doesn't currently provide for keywords. I do think it would be a good idea, BUT I think it needs to be done in a way to avoid abuse.
I think maybe it would be better to put keywords right in the pod for the module, so they become part of the documentation too. This is similar to the way they often appear in academic papers, right after the abstract - and people often find it useful for pinpointing the subject matter.

Is it usefull to have in the pod? It seems like meta information to me; i.e. it seems like it would only be usefull to indexers. I am concerned that META.yml might become a huge document if everything gets put in there, but I think if we agree that it would be usefull to have keywords/catagories, then the best place is in META.yml. This also has the benefit that you can have a lightweight indexer that only has to look in one place.

Well, I actually don't think we need a place for keywords *anywhere*, but if we have them somewhere, then yeah, I do think it's good to be able to see them in the pod. Something like they are here (random academic paper in my field):

 http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~yiming/papers.yy/kdd02.pdf.gz

 -Ken