On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Simon Cozens wrote:
I still think sourceforge-like hierchical catagories (Topics) in META.yml
would make for good light-weight search and improved by-catagory browsing

I disagree quite violently with this, but I'm not going to implement searching and indexing in a way that precludes it. I think that the world moved from browse to search some time in the mid 90s (hell, we're even being encouraged to search rather than browse email these days) and that this is because browsing is useful if your search engine isn't good enough.

Browsing and searching each have their place. It is conceivable that a powerful enough search could emulate browsing. Consider how much discussion has been generated by talk of removing a browse-oriented document like the module list. Some people and activities are more fond of browsing than searching. It may only be 10% of the cases where browsing works better than searching, but if I want to answer the question - "what are all of the perl web applications" it would take lots of searches and result munging to find out what a painless browse could produce. A hierarchical system that people can add into META.yml supplemented by an effort to fill in the gaps left by maintainers not motivated to fix their META.yml would be a wonderful thing.

--
</chris>

-- C.A.R. Hoare