On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:32:29PM -0400, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, _brian_d_foy wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Smylers
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>I think the opposite -- that DBIx:: should be for things that are
> >>generally usable with DBI, where the "I" is independent.  Things such as
> >>backing up tend not to be database-independent.
> >
> >if we work it right, DBIx::Backup could be independent, while
> >DBIx::Backup::MySQL implements the MySQL bits. :)
>
> Exactly.  If DBIx::Backup::MySQL has a clean interface it might even
> inspire a generic DBIx::Backup and become the MySQL implementation of
> DBIx::Backup and spark a revolution in database administration.  :)

DBIx isn't for this kind of thing (frameworks of modules working together).

Modules are generally be named for what they do not how they do it.
So DBIx in a name is only appropriate when the "what it does" is
closely tied to the DBI.

If anyone wants to start a database independant backup project,
using 'plug in' modules for different databases, then they ought
to use a new top-level namespace like DatabaseBackup::*

Tim.