Hello Chris,

Chris Dolan wrote:

On Apr 7, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Reinhard Pagitsch wrote:

Hello Chris,
Chris Dolan wrote:

On Apr 6, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Reinhard Pagitsch wrote:

I would suggest now to name the module Win32::Storage::ReadSummaryInfo.

I like this better than before, but why not Win32::Document::SummaryInfo?

Because not only MS documents can be read? There is also the possibility to read the summary informations
from text and and other files, if there is a summary information available.

Reinhard

Hmm, I think it must be my Mac experience showing through. I'll defer in this case, but permit me to further detail my thoughts anyway... When I think "Document" I mentally include any non-active file, including MS Office files, text files, PDF files, etc. but excluding executables. To me "Win32::Storage" and "Win32::File" suggest the manifestation of the file in the filesystem, not the the contents of that file.

The summary information of a Win32 (NT/2000/XP/2003) are not part of the content of the file. MS tells about "Structured Storage" it the following:

[quotation]
Structured Storage provides file and data persistence in COM by treating a single file as a structured collection of objects known as storages and streams.

The purpose of Structured Storage is to reduce the performance penalties and overhead associated with storing separate objects in a single file. Structured Storage provides a solution by defining how to treat a single file entity as a structured collection of two types of objects—storages and streams—through a standard implementation called Compound Files. This lets the user interact with and manage a compound
file as if it were a single file rather than a nested hierarchy of separate objects.

And also:

Traditional file systems face challenges when they try to store efficiently multiple kinds of objects in one document. COM provides a solution: a file system within a file. COM structured storage defines how to treat a single file entity as a structured collection of two types of objects — storages and streams — that act like directories and files. This scheme is called /structured storage/. The purpose of structured storage is to reduce the performance penalties and overhead associated with storing separate objects in a flat file.

[end quotation]

So these informations can be stored for any file, including executables and dll's, as I understand this, or I am wrong?
Ok, in these two explanations they only speak about compund files, but as I know you can also use it for executables and dll's.

Reinhard