On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:57:26 +0200
Johan Vromans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Please see this essay
> > http://scratchcomputing.com/svn/Getopt-Modern/trunk/data/notes/why_order_matters.txt
>     If your spouse tells you to get "tuna and halibut, but not any
>     other fish", you would probably get in trouble if you returned
>     from the store with no fish, and yet this is what programmers seem
>     to expect from the following command-line:
>
>       go_shop --fish tuna --fish halibut --no-fish
>
>     But the results should be the same as below:
>
>       go_shop --no-fish --fish tuna --fish halibut

To Eric,

    I did not notice the go_shop problem.  But I think it's trivial to
solve that with Getopt::Long:

my @conf_fishes = read_conf("fish");  # get qw(trout)
my @opt_fishes = qw();
my $opt_nofish = 0;
Getopt::Long::GetOptions(
  "fish=s"  => [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  "no-fish" => \$opt_nofish,
);
@conf_fishes = qw() if $opt_nofish;
my @fishes = (@conf_fishes, @opt_fishes);

    Who said the variable to save the "no-fish" status has to be
revelant with the "fish" variable anyway?  If they are saved in
different variables, the order doesn't matter, does it?

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tavern IMACAT's: http://www.imacat.idv.tw/