* Austin Schutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-06-17 23:40]:
> The point is that the community can be unnecessarily combative
> and ugly, a point which to my eyes you have helped illustrate.

Yes, I was rude. At first I was frustrated after trying to find
information about Eric’s proposal other than “this fixes
everything that’s wrong with Getopt::Long,” then flustered when
I found (to caricature the situation) that I want to *all* that
*effort* only to find *this*? The combination of… well,
effectively insubstantial hype was what set the mood.

It is not particularly respectful to make your audience jump
through hoops because you can’t contain your urge to hype
something; nor was the hyperbole warranted.

In any case, I should have detached and let it slide, instead of
getting fixated on a sense of obligation to follow up after I
voiced my initial frustration.

In fact, all the heat generated seems kind of comical now that I
look at it, because I’m not trying to keep Eric from putting this
on CPAN at all. Even in the curmodgeonly view, there’s no
appreciable harm that can result from adding another @ARGV parser
to CPAN, seeing as there’s already a pile of them there, and
seeing how most people happily use the common ones and some
happily use obscure ones.

On the other hand, Eric *did* get a lot of feedback.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

#Aristotle
*AUTOLOAD=*_=sub{s/(.*)::(.*)/print$2,(",$\/"," ")[defined wantarray]/e;$1};
&Just->another->Perl->hacker;