Andy Armstrong wrote:

On 15 Dec 2006, at 21:39, David Landgren wrote:

I vote for Transform. Possibly more Data than List but I wouldn't argue it for long.

List:: has the connotation doing things to Perl arrays I think.

In Perl an array is a data structure which can hold a list, where a list is understood as an ordered set of elements.

While an array is the most frequently used way of holding and manipulating a list, it's often just a means to an end. The result of that manipulation may or may not be -- or be represented by -- a Perl array.

In the case of List::RewriteElements, the result of the rewriting of a particular element in a list is immediately printed to STDOUT or to a file. It is not held in an array.

So, while List::RewriteElements can certainly be used to transform elements of an array, a module name like 'Array::RewriteElements' would be overly narrow.

I suspect that people will most frequently use this module to transform data records held in a flat file, in which case we treat the individual records within the file as elements of a list.

jimk