On Feb 21, 2007, at 4:56 AM, Adam Kennedy wrote:

Personally, I've always liked the idea we limit CPAN to at least something like OSI-compatible licenses.

This would at least remove some ambiguity...

Adam K

I strongly disagree. I like the current non-policy to let anything in, but retroactively to kick out the really nasty junk. The CPAN FAQ says:

"CPAN and PAUSE are not responsible for any licenses or lack thereof contained in the contents of the archive. We do recommend that authors license their modules to avoid legal ambiguity and so that people may use the code in good conscience. If you require help with a license, we urge you to consult legal counsel who can give you sound advice."
  -- http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_is_Perl_licensed

With that statement, CPAN is absolving itself of any claim to represent only open source code. If we have an open-source-only policy, then someone needs to enforce it. Who do you think should go through all of the CPAN modules to look for non-OSI-licensed packages? Well, it looks like RT users are doing that a module at a time, but slowly:

http://rt.cpan.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Subject+LIKE +'license'&Order=DESC&OrderBy=Status

For a while Path-Class, Archive-Any and even Encode all lacked license statements. Happily these are now fixed, but if a policy like what you propose had been in place they would have not been allowed in CPAN, much to everyone's loss.

  http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=9203
  http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=14896
  http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=19056

Chris