On 5/4/07, Johan Vromans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Gabor Szabo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A bit more work on it and now there is a report for each module author
> as well. http://www.szabgab.com/distributions/

Interesting numbers, but I have some problems interpreting the report.

First, what do you mean by "CPAN Modules in Distributions". Modules
that are installed with a vanilla install? Modules that can be
installed on demand?

I am not sure.

In the longer term I would like to provide the list of modules that
can be installed by the standard packaging tool of each distribution
on demand.
As I am a bit more familiar with Ubuntu (and thus Debian) I plan to
provide the list of modules that can be installed with apt-get using the
standard *supported* repositories showing which module is coming from
which repository.
So in Ubuntu that probably only means "main" while "universe" and "backports"
will be also shown separately.

Some more explanation why:
http://www.szabgab.com/blog/2007/04/1177742133.html
http://www.szabgab.com/blog/2007/05/1178269908.html

For example, according to the report, Getopt::Long is only available
in FreeBSD but I'm pretty sure it is installed in all other distros as
well.

In addition, after I generated and announced the initial report I stated to look
into how the data is fetched (which is done by
Module::Packaged::Generate from Leon) and found out that the data
collector of Mandriva is dead and Fedora actually means FC2.

So since then I patched the module a bit and started to add more data sources.
Specifically Debian was split into stable/unstable/testing, Ubuntu was added
though it is very strange that there are only 75 modules in the latest
version of
Ubuntu and ActivePerl was also added with ~ 7000 modules!

Still I would appreciate your help in both finding the sources and
interpreting the
meaning of the results. Particularly explaining how the various
packaging systems
and distributions work. Link to SVN on the report page itself:
http://www.szabgab.com/distributions/

Puzzling...

The Puzzle has more pieces in place now.
I hope.

Gabor

--
Gabor Szabo