* Andy Armstrong <overwater at mac.com> [2007/10/10 21:36]:
> Particularly in web applications - but in other areas too - people
> regularly make a complete mess of escaping / unescaping strings. At
> different times a string may need to be
>
> * unescaped plain text
> * SQL quoted
> * entity encoded
> * url encoded
> * json encoded
> * etc

I was just thinking about this recently, too, although in my head it
was more like the built-in \U, \E, and \Q operators, so:

  my $str = as html => "I like <strong>cake</strong>";

Would be something like:

  my $str = "I like \H<strong>cake</strong>\E!";

assuming \H did HTML escaping, or:

  my $enc = "\Zhttp://example.com/";;

assuming \Z did URI esaping.

I'm not sure how to do this without adding it to the core or using a
source filter.

(darren)

--
The most profound technologies are those that disappear.  They weave
themselves into the fabric of everyday life until they are