----- Original Message ----

I agree completely with this.  I see it all the time and it's a huge
frustration.

> I'm not afraid of iterative solutions.  It doesn't bother me to think
> that I might implement something today, just to get it out there, and
> then have to revert it.

That being said, iterative solutions are fine on a personal project or when
working on code for a company.  They can be far more problematic when they're
planned for a huge, real-world user base.  If they start out good, lots of
people can buy into the first solution and remain stuck on a suboptimal path.
Anyone remember how COBOL was supposed to be an "intermediate" step and a
proper language released later on?  Grace Hopper reportedly said that she would
have done things much differently if she new the next version was never coming
out.

(I could also make snarky comments about the crap we call SQL and how the
buy-in to this suboptimal solution has effectively destroyed a lot of real
database work, but I won't :)

Frankly, I'd suggest waiting a while before pulling the trigger and then if
nothing manifests (which I'm guessing it won't), then go ahead.

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book  - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/