On Feb 18, 2008 11:43 AM, Guy Hulbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 11:11 -0500, David Golden wrote:
> > simple comparison.  Instead, I would recommend that people use
> > CPAN::Version, which is available in recent versions of CPAN.
>
> What is the reason to prefer CPAN::Version (see below) ?

I recommend it because as part of CPAN, it's a de facto litmus test
for module installation anyway.  CPAN *must* be able to compare
versions and for as many modules as possible.  So it's pretty liberal
in what it accepts and can compare (e.g. decimal float, dotted
decimal, version objects, strings starting with v, etc.).

And because it is part of the core toolchain, it gets a lot of
scrutiny -- people will quickly complain if it mishandles some
comparison that really should work.

David