You might find Memcached::libmemcached interesting.
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Memcached-libmemcached/

It ships with a bundled copy of the libmemcached source.
Makefile.PL not only runs the libmemcached configure script, but also
make and make install. (The "install" directory is actually a temp
directory in which the rest of Makefile.PL expects to find the built
libs.)

Tim.