Since anyone can upload code to CPAN, not all modules are of the same high
quality as others.  I feel it is very important to vet each and every module
that I install.  But with the auto-install behavior, modules that I want to
install may have dependencies on other modules that I don't feel comfortable
installing, and I want to have the opportunity to consider each one before I
go ahead and install it.  So I don't like auto-install.  I want it to stop
and complain that the other module is missing, so I can go over to the CPAN
Web site, look up that module, see who wrote it, read its documentation,
scan its code, and get a feel for whether I'm comfortable installing it
before doing so.