Jos I. Boumans wrote:
Hi John,

On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:51 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.vmsperl/2008/06/msg14821.html

The main problem is that Archive::Tar needs a patch to properly be able to pack a VMS binary into a tarball.

We were waiting for word from Jos on this.

It was my understanding that this was already applied to core, and
it's also part of Archive::Tar 1.39_01:

I just verified that the fix is not in blead perl as of today's rsync copy just now.

To be more specific it is a patch to Archive/Tar/File.pm to fix handling of VMS binary executable files. It also fixes setting the UID properly when saving the UID is requested.

  http://search.cpan.org/src/KANE/Archive-Tar-1.39_04/CHANGES

Yes I see that the patch is in the changelog.

A::T 1.39_04 looks stable, so we can promote it to 1.40 shortly.

Is there anything specific you need me to do now?

It looks like we need for blead to get more up to date.

I also need to find the time to get the fix into gnu tar, because it is also mis-handling the VMS file sizes for executable binaries.

Gnu tar also needs a fix for handling VMS GID values on creating an archive, which I also noticed when debugging this issue.

As it is right now, A::T 1.39_04 is probably the only way to build a tarball on VMS that includes an executable binary.

-John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Personal Opinion Only