On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM, Eric Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Even if suboptimal, Perl threads would seem likely to
>>behave more consistently across platforms.
>
> So the performance on Linux should be slowed down in order to deliver
> the same experience as on VMS?  For which "target audience" is that
> true?

Windows, of course.  I doubt Gabor decided to start a Perl IDE project
to help Perl penetration and acceptance in the VMS, IRIX or hpux
worlds.

Moreover, it's an editor.  Most of the time it's going to be idle
waiting for keystrokes. The point of threads is to be able to do
things in the background without making the GUI unresponsive, not to
maximize parallel performance.

In this case, Gabor's stated design goals are for Padre to be easy,
friendly and portable.  Prematurely optimizing by platform at the
expense of those goals doesn't make sense to me.

This is one of the sub-optimal variations on the "XY problem": Gabor
asked "how to I indicate a need for threads in META.yml" and the
conversation shifted to the wisdom of using threads in the first
place.

-- David