I believe you missed the point of Paul's joke. He was quoting advice from ExtUtils::MakeMaker that many of us consider antiquated:

  http://www.perl.com/doc/manual/html/lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.html#DESCRIPTION

Chris

On Jun 12, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Jonathan Yu wrote:

I have *never* used h2xs to start a module, though I have copied the
basic scripts/structure/etc that other packages have (which likely
began with h2xs at one point or another)...

I prefer doing it on my own by hand, though I guess that's not an
option for people new to Perl packaging