On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:12:32AM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> Currently on PAUSE you have to explicitly delete old uploads.

Which often is a good thing. While BACKPAN exists, it isn't somewhere
that many go to look for old distributions. For me and probably others,
BACKPAN only distributions are ones that have been specifically marked
by the maintainers as obsolete, badly broken or similar.

Automatic deletes from CPAN would change that.

There are many distributions on CPAN that older versions work on a
particular perl/os, but more recent ones don't. Latest isn't necessarily
the greatest.

If you are going to perform this then it should really feed off the CPAN
Testers to know if a specific release has been marked as being the
latest working release for a particular perl/os.

I would also suggest extending the timeframe considerably to perhaps 3
or maybe 5 years.

Lastly I would also personnally be annoyed if only the latest versions
were available, as I often make great use of the diff tool on
search.cpan.org. Having only the latest version renders that great tool
redundant :(

> Files selected in this way would be scheduled to be deleted in a month
> and an email would be sent to the authors, just as if they'd selected
> the files for deletion via PAUSE.

There are already many authors who have non-responding email addresses
(I will get around to publicising that list at some point), so some
will likely disappear down a blackhole. What if you're about to delete a
set of distributions that should really be kept available? No one would
be listening to know that it should still be kept.

I would prefer a suggestion email to authors to delete, rather than an
email telling them that their distributions will be deleted unless they
do something.

Cheers,
Barbie.
--